The experienced staff at St. Charles Hospital is dedicated to improving the outcome of every patient with a brain injury. Since traumatic brain injuries are unique to each individual, a multi-disciplinary team approach is utilized with the goal of enabling each patient to achieve their optimum potential and return to independent living as much as possible. Upon admission, an individually tailored treatment plan is developed for patients after a thorough and comprehensive, interdisciplinary evaluation of the patient's needs and abilities. This plan incorporates the goals of the patient, the family and the rehabilitation team.
We offer the following services for patient with brain injury:
- Physical, Occupational and Recreational Therapy
- Daily interaction with a physiatrist
- Individualized treatment plan focusing on a patient's mobility (i.e. walking, stair climbing, strengthening and balance/coordination.)
- Assistive technology including customized wheelchair fitting
- Activities of daily living training
- Cognitive retraining
- Swallowing and voice therapy
- Ongoing patient monitoring by a registered nurse
- Emotional support and counseling for the patient and family
- Family education
- Community re-entry
- Discharge planning and insurance coordination
- Spiritual support
At St. Charles, we encourage family involvement by offering a rooming-in policy and a private lounge area with a shower. Families are invited to attend weekly progress meetings with the rehabilitation team and are encouraged to ask questions and participate in their loved ones rehabilitation. In addition, the rehabilitation team is actively involved in educating patients and families in rebuilding their lives after suffering a brain injury.
When patients leave St. Charles Rehabilitation, they may transition to one of several other programs. These include community re-entry or outpatient rehabilitation through one of St. Charles's nine outpatient rehabilitation networks located across Long Island.
For more information on inpatient brain injury rehabilitation at St. Charles, please call (631) 474-6260.